Thursday, January 5, 2012

Winter Semester 2012 Preview

Howdy folks, well I survived the first two days of school and I'm pretty sure I'll make it through the end of the week without harm. Thought I'd share a bit about each of my classes right quick.

Elang 527: Early Modern English. I'm not really sure how I feel about this one just yet, but I think it'll be okay. We'll be going over a lot of stuff looking at the time period's grammar, spelling, vocabulary, prose style, and more. It might be interesting. This one is still kind of a question mark. I'm going to say I'll enjoy it though. Positive thinking, right?

Spanish 106. I'll survive. I like the teacher so far. He's from Mexico. He speaks very quickly, but I catch enough to understand what his meaning is, even if I don't understand every word. But that's normal in any communication, folks. I have one friend from my old class in there. And a girl that kind of drives me crazy. Woot.

Ling 477: Literacy Development in TESOL. I've had this teacher before. He always wears a bow tie. Always as in every day. I wonder if he wears one to church. I can't imagine him in a normal tie. Yeah, that would be weird. I had him for grammar years ago. Years. He remembered that I'd had him before though. He makes a point of learning everybody's name. He knew almost everybody today from studying our pictures. That's pretty cool. I think this class will be pretty decent. I liked today. We talked about the Aims of BYU. It was kind of neat to have a good discussion on that. Different.

Ling 461: Language Assessment in TESOL. My only female teacher. She seems nice. I'm going to learn about assessments. Particularly writing tests. Should be fine. A lot of the same people in my 477 class...and we were in another TESOL class together last semester. I probably should try harder to learn their names...

Last but not least, Ling 550: Sociolinguistics. The class I was probably looking forward to the most. I've had this teacher before too. Again, many moons ago. He's from Australia and he's hilarious. I think the course material will be good too. The scary part about it is it's a grad level class. There are only about 6 grad students, the rest undergrads, but he said he'll treat it as a grad class. Well that's exciting. Good thing is I have several friends in there already. So that helps. And the teacher's awesome. So it'll be fabulous. This is what he had to say about the bow tie professor: "I always tease Dr. A because he always wears a bow tie, and that's what you have to do with people who wear bow ties." Yup.

So that's the run down. Hopefully I'll have some more good Aussie prof quotes this semester.

Also, I looked into it...I only have about 20 credits left after this semester. I think I'll graduate before the world ends! Yay me!

1 comment:

  1. oh how I miss the ling/elang department! I loved working there! Dr. A is awesome with his bow tie (and learning people's names! He's fantastic at that!) and your Aussie professor...definitely my favorite professor at BYU and I never took a class from him! :o) He's fantastic and I enjoy him. Anyways....good luck this semester! It will rock for you, I know it! :o)

    ReplyDelete