Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Tempest Was Raging

We had some crazy weather yesterday. While a lot of people noticed because the BYU Football game was delayed and a lot of people got soaked, there was a lot of flooding and crazy stuff going on besides that. We watched the rain come down from our large windows, and we could hardly see anything. The wind was blowing so hard that there was a waterfall on the windows themselves. I went to a side window and could hardly see our neighbor's yard, it was raining so hard. I heard Leah calling me and went back to our main room, where there was a puddle of water inside the door. I got a towel to soak it up, but the carpet did get a little damp against that wall. Apparently we were lucky though, because a lot of houses in this area suffered pretty bad flooding. 

Once the rain slowed, I headed out to Lehi, but I found this tree that had been uprooted on the side of the house. I had to twist off a branch that blocked the path. I also had two large branches to clear out of the driveway before I could leave. Another roommate came home just then, and warned me of a huge puddle just up the street. 


I think it didn't fall the whole way because it hit the other trees.

I drove a different way to avoid that puddle, but Center St in Orem was pretty flooded. The intersections were the worst, but I also avoided the right lane because it was completely submerged in water. Yeah, it was crazy. I drove up to Lehi and it was kind of crazy. The interstate was very wet, we all made a splash. We drove 40–50 mph most of the way (sometimes a bit faster, sometimes even slower). It was crazy. Fortunately, driving up to SLC was better and the roads were all dry by the time I came home.

Today we heard that a lot of homes around us had some pretty bad flooding, so we did a full inspection of the house. It seems we were lucky, since only that one wall has some damp carpet at the edge. Our roof lost some shingles, and that tree came down, but other than a lot of leaves and branches scattered around, that's all we could find.

So we had a pretty exciting time with this storm! It felt a lot like Louisiana—the flooded roads and all. It was impressive. Who knew Utah could have this kind of storm?!

2 comments:

  1. A heavy downpour is one thing but coupled with severe wind changes the whole dimension of a storm. Of course you know that after living down in LA. for almost 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crazy part is the whole thing came out of no where and only lasted about an hour. That is a lot of damage for an hour. It was fun driving around and see the flooded roads and even street lights out.

    I am glad your house is okay.

    ReplyDelete