Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Grateful for: America and a Sense of Humor

         Sooo....the election was yesterday. At the end of the night, my Facebook newsfeed was filled with negative woe is me, we're all going to die, it's the end of the world as we know it posts. And you know what? All I could do was laugh. I found some of the remarks so over the top I just laughed and laughed as I scrolled through all these statuses. I also really appreciated the other people who decided it wasn't the end of the world but posted humorous statuses...like the one about not having a heart attack about this, but if you do, it's covered by Obamacare! I feel like sometimes we take ourselves too seriously. Whoever won last night, a lot of people were going to be mad. But it's not the end of the world. (And if it is, yay for us!)
          I really appreciated the Church's statement, congratulating President Obama. Regardless of your political stance, we truly are blessed to live in this country and we should pray for and support our leaders. That doesn't mean we have to agree with everything, and that's okay. What I think is really awesome is that in this election, a Mormon and a black man ran against each other. How amazing is that? Two minorities that have historically been persecuted for being who they are. And here they were, running for president. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
         I woke up this morning with God Bless America running through my head. These are the words:

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.
God bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Through the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home
God bless America, My home sweet home.


Indeed, God Bless America. I'm very grateful to live here, where people are free to write angry post-election statuses on Facebook so I can laugh.

2 comments:

  1. ACK!!! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Agggggh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! If only everyone were as rational and level-headed as we are Brooke. But then, as you say, Facebook would be oh so boring.

    ReplyDelete