Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Grateful for: Miracles

     Once upon a time, I served in a small branch in Oakdale, LA. Quite unusually, there were more men than women who were active church members. A lot more men. The Relief Society consisted of about three non-missionaries (no wonder they had three sister missionaries and a senior couple there for so long!). One of the faithful men, George, brought his family to church as much as he could. His wife, Sue, was quite faithful in attending sacrament meeting, and basically believed everything the missionaries taught her. She planned to get baptized, but she never could give up her cigarettes. We worked with Sue and always encouraged her, but we knew we needed a miracle.
     I've been home from my mission for over two years now, but yesterday, I got a phone call from Sue. Her miracle happened. It took her nearly dying, but in the ordeal, she quit smoking and she's been clean for two weeks. She's getting baptized on December 15. What a miracle! All of us who served in Oakdale are so thrilled for her and we're so proud of her! Miracles never cease. Yesterday as she bore her testimony of the Word of Wisdom and how much better she feels, I was just tickled and so happy. Couldn't wipe a smile off my face all day! So I'm grateful for miracles. Some big ones like this one, some smaller ones that we see day-to-day. Big or small, I know they happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment