Friday, March 4, 2011

Español es fabuloso

I love Spanish. I love my Spanish class. Back in the day when I took Spanish 101 I hated it. It was so hard. I spent all my time studying Spanish. I didn't have that many classes that semester because one of them I tested out of and didn't have to go to class or do anything all semester. (Yeah, that was really nice!) But even so, that semester was so hard. I dreaded taking Spanish 102. So much so that I dropped it the next semester because it was giving me terrible anxiety. Then I went on a mission.
When I came back I knew I had to take 102 and get on with it. I was scared. The semester started. I had a total break down on day 2 because I couldn't remember much of anything from 101 and I was completely overwhelmed. The first little while was hard, trying to remember what I'd learned before and learn the new stuff. I stressed and struggled over the first tests. And I did remarkably well. God blessed me.
I even went to the conversation lab. In 101 I went once and hated it so much that I never went again. I just studied an extra two hours with a friend in the class. This time I went and liked the teacher right away. And one of my friends from class, Ashley, went with me. That helped.
Then there were my classmates. Ashley was great from the start. She quickly became mi amiga. Then I met Maraina and we started studying together. Then there's Timofeo. He's hilarious. Half the time he's not in class (8 am-killer for some people) but I love it when he's there. When he joins our study group, he usually talks too loudly and sometimes bothers those around us, but then he's so friendly to them and talks with them; it's hard to stay mad at him. Then you have Timoteo and Cam. They also make me laugh all the time. Then there's Bethany and Kelly and...everybody! I could name them all, but that seems unnecessary. My class is just totally awesome!
They're so awesome that I wanted to celebrate my birthday with them. So I made red velvet cupcakes and took them to class Tuesday. Today my teacher asked if I was going to have another birthday next week. Let me tell you about Profe. I love him too. I didn't feel comfortable with my 101 teacher. But this time, if I don't know the word, I don't worry about it too much. He helps me out if I don't know the word, instead of playing dumb so I sit there desperately trying to come up with something to say, getting more frustrated and less able to speak. From day one he helped. He told us to just vomit Spanish and let him see what we had for lunch. Not exactly pretty imagery, but it helped! So I don't know exactly how to properly say that, no biggie. He knows what I meant and helps me learn what I should have said. He's much more relaxed and has been the perfect teacher for me this semester. And it's not like he's making it too easy. Boy does he talk fast and with a Chilean accent. He's not Chilean, but his wife is, and he sounds like her. But practicing listening to him makes listening to other speakers easier sometimes. It's great.
My classmates have helped so much. At first I felt like I was the only one struggling. But soon I realized we really are all in this together. We have fun in class, fun studying together, fun going to International Cinema for extra credit. Even going to Pantruca's last week. We have the best class ever. I don't feel dumb with them any more, even when I don't know how to say something. It's the best.
These happy feelings have been a little slow coming. It's been up and down and a lot of work. But a couple weeks ago, one day I thought, "I love Spanish." And I realized I really do. It used to be the least worst class, putting it in 2nd place for favorite classes this semester. Now it's probably tied for 1st with my religion class. And that's saying a lot.
So there you go, it's official. I LOVE SPANISH.

P.S. Something else you just have to love about Spanish 102...the cheesy Carlos stories...it doesn't get much better than that. Maybe sometime I'll share that joy with you...here's a sneak peek: "Para el mal de amores no hay doctores."

No comments:

Post a Comment